Part-66 AML aircraft maintenance technicians

Frequently asked questions about the Part-66 AML aircraft maintenance technicians.

Click here for frequently asked questions at EASA.


I acquired my basic experience abroad, does this count?

Basic experience acquired abroad can count, if you can show copies of the AMLs from your supervisor who has endorsed your logbook. With regard to certificates of basic experience, since the maintenance organisation is not supervised by the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate, you must demonstrate that the person who signed on behalf of the company has the authority to do so.

How long are type training and on-the-job training (OJT) valid?

You must submit the request for an additional type within three years of the type training. This is also applicable to the on-the-job-training (OJT).

What are the requirements for a compliance report?

Please find this guideline on how a compliance report demonstrates how the OJT meets the standard required by section 6 Appendix III to Part-66.

How long are module exam certificates and practical experience valid?

Module exam certificates and experience must not be older than ten years prior to application. Exceptions to this are the basic knowledge certificates that were issued before 1 August 2012 (before EU regulation 1149/2011), which are valid until 31 July 2022. After this date, the exemptions will expire once they have been granted. Upon expiry, you can request new exemptions.

Is it possible to participate in several Part-145 maintenance organisations in relation to on-the-job training (OJT)?

Yes, if the following conditions are satisfied, it is possible to participate with different companies in relation to on-the-job training (OJT).

The OJT must take place under the responsibility of a Part-145 or a Part-M subpart F organisation in possession of an A-rating for the relevant aircraft type. The tasks of the on-the-job training logbook can be performed at different Part-145 companies provided that the qualifications of each supervisor who endorses are clearly described, that they have company authorisation and that an assessment is performed per company. The logbook must clearly show which tasks are supervised/assessed by the relevant maintenance company. These companies must be supervised by the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate in order to facilitate onsite verification.

I want to participate in a type training at a trainer who is not authorised for Part-147, what can I do?

Under certain circumstances, a (theoretical and/or practical) type training can be approved beforehand by the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate when you want to participate in an organisation not authorised for Part-147. The conditions are stated in the newsletter Part-66.B.130 on this website.

Can I obtain an exemption for the desired modules?

If your module certificates have been expired (10 years) you can apply for new credits. The application has be to send to the CAA which has approved the Part-147 certificate of recognition.